Manchester music venue Antwerp Mansion launches petition to be saved, after receiving marching orders from City Council

ANOTHER Manchester music venue is set to place on the ever-growing list of iconic venues that have closed in recent years.

Doomed nightclub Antwerp Mansion, in Rusholme have had a petition launched on change.org in attempt to stop the closure, after Manchester City Council Planning Department ordered it shutting down for good.

If the petition were to be successful, it would mean that the venue could stay open longer than it’s planned wrap up for next month.

News of the closure was confirmed in a statement posted to the nightclub’s official facebook page on monday.

It said: “Antwerp Mansion will be forced to close next month on the orders of Manchester City Council Planning Department. Unlike the scenarios we have recently seen in the media with clubs such as Fabric & the Rainbow venues, there has been no single incident that has led to this closure and our premises license remains fully intact.

“In September of last year Antwerp Mansion was served with an enforcement notice, after Manchester City Council (MCC) were informed of unclear planning permissions that dated back to the 1920’s.

“The Council’s view was that Antwerp Mansion only had permission to operate as a private member’s club, not as a nightclub despite the fact that it had successfully been run as one for approximately 7 years.

“We had no warning of this and no one from the Council made any attempt to speak to us. MCC served an enforcement notice in the summer (a period in which we are closed) that Antwerp Mansion must revert back to this use within 28 days with a closing time of 11pm.

“Antwerp Mansion had the right to appeal this notice, which then triggered a legal battle that we have been fighting for the past 7 months. We did not make public the threat of closure or this enforcement notice during the appeal process.”

 

Councillor Angeliki Stogia, Manchester City Council’s Executive Member for Environment and Skills responded to the closure, as well as the statement made by the venue.

She said: “This will be good news for local residents who have put up with significant noise, violence and other anti-social behaviour brought to their neighbourhood because of the Antwerp Mansion venue.

“We want to encourage business in Manchester and we welcome multi-use and diverse venues in our neighbourhoods, but there has to be a balance so it works with the community, not against it. It is important that anyone opening a venue does contact the Council immediately to get planning advice before they open.
“Any suggestion by the club that this decision is about anything other than the fact that they were not operating appropriately is simply untrue.  Our decision has been scrutinised and upheld by an independent planning inspector appointed by the Government, who rejected Antwerp Mansion’s appeal.”
The Petition has so far gained over 14000 signatures, after just four days of being posted. They aim to reach 15000.

“If they’ve got great songs and refuse to give up they’ll make it. I believe that.” – Says Musicians about unsigned artists

ESTABLISHED musicians from Britain have been commenting on the unsigned music scene.

In the UK, acts from all genres have to make their way as unsigned artists, before finding a fan base and eventually signing to a record label that can provide them with the resources to help them succeed in the industry.

The road to the record label is known as being incredibly difficult, as competition from other performers and issues with funding can get in the way of success, leading to band break ups, as members go in search for steady work.

Former Kaiser Chiefs drummer, Nick Hodgson released his debut album ‘Tell Your Friends’ independently on his own label.

He said: “Doing things independently is total freedom for me. I love being able to make instant decisions about things without having to go through a dozen people.

“It’s a lot of hard work though. For unsigned bands it’s always been hard but now is a particularly tricky time to get signed.

“If they’ve got great songs and refuse to give up they’ll make it. I believe that.”

Folk musician, John Smith has been successfully recording albums on his own for years, as he opts to remain unsigned.

He Said: “I think the music industry has changed a lot. I’ve been a professional musician for twelve years and it’s changed a lot in that time. There’s so many more people who have access to an audience.

“Now, any numpty with a guitar can make a record and put it out there. Some of it is frighteningly good, but some of it is terrible, so the competition is so much bigger and so much more diverse.

“People send me stuff and it sounds amazing and these people would never have had a platform a few years ago, but making it in any arts industry is never going to be easy.”

Grieving Andy Rourke ‘Deeply Saddened’ about false news of ‘Classically Smiths’ Concerts

AFTER just one day, it has been confirmed that the ‘classically Smiths’ concerts WILL NOT be happening.

Former members of The Smiths, drummer Mike Joyce, bass player Andy Rourke and second guitarist Craig Gannon announced yesterday that the trio were to reunite in the summer to put a new spin on the Manchester band’s iconic songs.

Today, Mike Joyce has set out to distance himself from the project, claiming that he wasn’t involved.

In a statement given to D&A, he said: “I am deeply saddened that during the week of the death of my dear friend Dolores O’Riordan, that false statements are made on my behalf. 

“At no time did I give my consent for anyone in connection with this Classically Smiths project to act on my behalf or my name and nothing was ever confirmed, approved or contracted by me or my team.”

After the response from Andy Rourke, ex-Smiths drummer Mike Joyce took to twitter to issue his own statement regarding the news

“It is with much regret that I have to announce that I will not be taking part in the show (s) Classically Smiths. I entered into agreement in good faith to perform these shows with the production company…

“and Craig Gannon. Andy was asked originally but I wasn’t informed that he had passed on this project. Unfortunately it became apparent that Andy would not be taking part and was never a part of this. I agreed with Andy that I would take part in the press conference and inform…

“people that he would not be taking part. Unfortunately on the morning of the press conference I was informed I would not be able to say this. I therefore agreed to take part in the press interviews but did so without discussing Andy’s participation in the venture at any point…

“during all tv, radio and print interviews. After much deliberation and soul searching I have decided that without Andy, an integral part of why I agreed to take part in the first place…

“I have come to this difficult decision. I still believe the shows and concept to be a fantastic idea and wish them all the success they deserve.”

css.php