Manchester music venue Antwerp Mansion launches petition to be saved, after receiving marching orders from City Council

ANOTHER Manchester music venue is set to place on the ever-growing list of iconic venues that have closed in recent years.

Doomed nightclub Antwerp Mansion, in Rusholme have had a petition launched on in attempt to stop the closure, after Manchester City Council Planning Department ordered it shutting down for good.

If the petition were to be successful, it would mean that the venue could stay open longer than it’s planned wrap up for next month.

News of the closure was confirmed in a statement posted to the nightclub’s official facebook page on monday.

It said: “Antwerp Mansion will be forced to close next month on the orders of Manchester City Council Planning Department. Unlike the scenarios we have recently seen in the media with clubs such as Fabric & the Rainbow venues, there has been no single incident that has led to this closure and our premises license remains fully intact.

“In September of last year Antwerp Mansion was served with an enforcement notice, after Manchester City Council (MCC) were informed of unclear planning permissions that dated back to the 1920’s.

“The Council’s view was that Antwerp Mansion only had permission to operate as a private member’s club, not as a nightclub despite the fact that it had successfully been run as one for approximately 7 years.

“We had no warning of this and no one from the Council made any attempt to speak to us. MCC served an enforcement notice in the summer (a period in which we are closed) that Antwerp Mansion must revert back to this use within 28 days with a closing time of 11pm.

“Antwerp Mansion had the right to appeal this notice, which then triggered a legal battle that we have been fighting for the past 7 months. We did not make public the threat of closure or this enforcement notice during the appeal process.”


Councillor Angeliki Stogia, Manchester City Council’s Executive Member for Environment and Skills responded to the closure, as well as the statement made by the venue.

She said: “This will be good news for local residents who have put up with significant noise, violence and other anti-social behaviour brought to their neighbourhood because of the Antwerp Mansion venue.

“We want to encourage business in Manchester and we welcome multi-use and diverse venues in our neighbourhoods, but there has to be a balance so it works with the community, not against it. It is important that anyone opening a venue does contact the Council immediately to get planning advice before they open.
“Any suggestion by the club that this decision is about anything other than the fact that they were not operating appropriately is simply untrue.  Our decision has been scrutinised and upheld by an independent planning inspector appointed by the Government, who rejected Antwerp Mansion’s appeal.”
The Petition has so far gained over 14000 signatures, after just four days of being posted. They aim to reach 15000.